I want to thank all of you for the support and prayers that you have offered for K. and N. All I can say, it is definitely having a positive effect. So, I thought I would fill you in on all the latest about my new grandson.
As I told you before, my daughter went into the hospital on Saturday because of severe contractions and while there, her water broke. They immediately transferred her to a hospital that had a level 3 neonatal intensive care ward. At that point they gave her some fairly strong medication to try to stop the contractions. Later that evening, they decided to slowly wean her off the medication. Simultaneously, they were getting K. steroid injections so that they baby’s lungs would develop more quickly. The doctors considered that there was some reason that K. was going into labor and that it may be best to allow nature to take its course. So, if K. went into full labor after she was weaned off the medication, they would deliver the baby. If not, they would try to maintain status as long as possible to allow the baby to develop as fully as possible. On Sunday, the contractions started again and by early Monday morning, she was in full labor. And as you know, N. was delivered at 6:22 a.m. Monday morning, 1lb 14oz and about 12in long.
Everyone at the hospital is amazed at how well N. is doing. He pretty much was breathing on his own right off the bat. He is stable and there are no undue complications at this time. The doctors are somewhat at a loss as to why K. went into labor. Examination revealed no abnormalities with either K. or N.. There were no signs of infection or any other possible complications that would normally initiate early labor. They have sent the placenta off for laboratory examination to see if the cause may be found.
K. is doing exceptionally well, and will be coming home on Wednesday. N. however, will probably be in the hospital for about three months. As you can imagine, K. is going to try to spend as much time at the hospital as she possibly can, but with two other kids at home, scheduling is going to be rather interesting. We been setting up schedules of who can be available to babysit so that they can maintain at least some semblance of normality for my granddaughters.
So all in all, everything is going very well. N. just needs to get through the next three months without any major complications, so I ask you all to please keep him in your thoughts and prayers.
Thank you all so very much,